Monday 1 October 2018

Cooking non kosher for no Jews ?


Dudes 

One of the questions I often get asked is 'can a Jewish chef cook non kosher food e.g. pork ?' And can Jews cook for non Jews? 

In short the answer is yes on both accounts, so I can cook a full English breakfast  or alligator steaks. Note:  I wouldn't do so in my own kitchens as they are run to kosher standards. However if I owned a pub in the UK or a non kosher restaurant then I would have no problems.  

The exception to this rule is foods , wherein cheese and meat are mixed together. This is due to the prohibition in the Torah against "boiling a (kid) goat in its mother's milk",specifically 

Exodus 23:19
Exodus 34:26
Deuteronomy 14:21

In Jewish interpretation  this results in three rules  :

the prohibition against cooking a mixture of milk and meat

the prohibition against eating a cooked mixture of milk and meat

the prohibition against deriving any benefit from a cooked mixture of milk and meat.

So if you are a traditional Jew, you cannot cook cheeseburger,  lasagne , some curry or pizza for your  Non Jewish friends, even if the meat is from a kosher animal such as beef or chicken. It is of course possible to cook these items by tweaking the recipes, but that's a story for another post. 

Incidentally there is also different schools of thought on  whether the prohibition on cooking milk and meat together  applies to animals Jews can eat (technically kosher isn't just the animal, but the way it is slaughtered and the removal of blood) or  that plus forbidden  animals. There is one school of thought that would allow a Jew to cook, say, a ham pizza or a Vindaloo as both contain meat which is not kosher (pork).  Personally I would go with this leniency , but my better half would not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Defence policy is in Νεφελοκοκκυγία

 Hi All, Much to my delight I have learned something new today and that is that Cloud Cocko Land was first thought up by the ancient Greeks,...